Friday, June 5, 2009

New Blog!

Welcome to my First Blog Entry here at my new blog Aziza Jewelry!

So what is Aziza Jewelry? Aziza Jewelry is a jewelry line created by me, Aziza Browne. My parents must have known I would be a jewelry designer, after all they named me Aziza which means 'Precious' in Swahili, lucky me huh? Precious jewelry...Aziza Jewelry...perfect fit!

My jewelry line involves mostly glass bead creations and most of my pieces are sort of built around these beads. I make all of my glass beads by hand using a process called lampworking or flameworking. I make some of my beads hollow, by using glass blowing techniques as well. Some of my pendants and earrings are also fused.




I incorporate swarovski crystals, pearls, silver, gold and many other components to achieve the desired result I have in mind. I also incorporate techniques like wire wrapping, hammering and soldering to create finished pieces. I even make some of my beads from Precious Metal Clay. You can find out more about PMC here.

So How Did It All Start?

I first dabbled with jewelry making when I was about 9 years old but I have always been creating things...well, as long as I can remember. I started out making beads from polymer clay and soon moved on to making other things from clay like refrigerator magnets. You can view some of my older creations here. Then, in college I studied ceramics, after all, it seemed more 'career' practical than making beads from clay. Practical, if there is such a thing!




I loved it! And best of all, it opened up the desire for me to study glass. After all, glass and ceramics are very much intertwined (I learned this in my chemistry of ceramics class). It wasn't until 2002, about a year after I graduated from college, that I took a class in glass beadmaking and rediscovered my love of beadmaking and jewelry making again.


My work is mostly centered around the glass beads that I make but I love adding in fun stuff like swarovski crystals and sterling silver bali beads...


and freshwater pearls and jingle bells...




and some of my jewelry is made from just semi precious gem stones and swarovski crystals...






Ok But What is the Aziza Jewelry Concept?


My jewelry line has several different themes including: bridal, young at heart, beach and classy chic. Most of it is just so much fun for me to make...infact I have so much fun, it hardly feels like work at all. Some have described my work as funky or whimsical. My inspiration for new work comes from many sources... from nature, everyday people and by doing everyday activities, like going grocery shopping...

having a glass of wine over dinner...



or just cooking breakfast...





Want to see more of my work? Check out My Etsy Shop!
Thanks for reading all about my jewelry line and how I got started.

Comments? Questions? Please feel free...

No comments:

Post a Comment